Location: Boston, USA
What You’ll Do – Capabilities:
The Controller is responsible for managing the company’s accounting and financial operations including managing day-to-day finances, preparation of financial statements, developing and managing the financial planning function including forecasting and budgeting. The Controller will also act as a change agent and play a key role in driving organizational efficiencies through automation and continuous process improvement, including new system implementations. The Controller needs to work cross-functionally and provide information to business leaders and managers to drive business decisions that accomplish overall business goals and objectives.
In the role of Controller, you will:
- Preparation of monthly financial reporting package, in accordance with GAAP. Financial package must be timely and accurate and include analysis of operating results including actual vs budget, updated forecast.
- Manage day to day operations including processing of accounts payable, accounts receivable invoicing and collections, ensuring efficient processes and internal controls for accurate and timely processing. Cash flow forecasting and modeling.
- Implement project accounting and project profitability reporting monthly.
- Work closely with the Project Management team and understand client contracts, milestones, revenue recognition policies including ASC 606, project budgets.
- Manage banking relationship and compliance.
- Manage annual audit and preparation of tax returns including K1’s. Understand international tax rules and taxation of foreign income and permanent establishment.
- Equity accounting including updating member equity accounts in accordance with operating agreements.
- Work with external legal, tax, and accounting advisors to ensure worldwide compliance and tax efficiency. Includes working with local accountants and advisors in foreign countries where BFA operates. Currently Columbia, India, and Kenya.
- Keep Management Team and Members appraised of the financial health of firm on a regular basis.
- Mentor and coach the current team of accounting staff in the US, Colombia, India, and Kenya.
- Stay current with relevant regulatory and compliance frameworks in jurisdictions where BFA has a presence.
- Coordinate with external entities, such as vendors, banks, payroll processors, audit firms, and other fiduciary partners.
- Assist CFO and auditors to complete our annual audit in a timely and efficient manner.
- Generate custom accounting reports as required.
- Proven experience working in a progressive environment where efficiency, continuous process improvement, and providing timely and accurate information to business leaders where finance has played a key role is required.
- Be able to develop and implement practical and scalable solutions.
- International operations and technical accounting experience, including consolidation and foreign exchange accounting.
- Managing processes and people across a wide range of time zones.
- Financial software expertise including Netsuite, Concur, Intacct, Expensify, and proven experience of leading systems implementation and integration Advanced and expert in MS Office products including advanced excel skills Forecasting, budgets and variance analysis at both corporate and project level.
- Technical accounting knowledge including members’ equity, revenue recognition, foreign currency and consolidations are required.
- Strong international accounting experience including tax, transfer pricing and compliance.
- Experience with multi-currency books and multi-currency consolidation.
- Project accounting experience.
- Good interpersonal skills and cross-cultural and cross-functional experience Be able to lead a team yet be also willing to roll up sleeves when need and do the work (prior management and leadership experience).
- Strong belief that finance is a service-oriented function and works cross-functionally with other business functions at BFA.
The ideal candidate for the position should have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
- MBA or Masters of Accountancy degree strongly preferred or equivalent experience
- Certified Public Accountant or equivalent will be an added advantage
- Minimum of 15 years’ experience in accounting/finance
- Experience in working with multiple legal entities under different geographic jurisdictions.
- An excellent ability to meet deadlines while multitasking
- Clear, concise, and polished communication skills; experience working with internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- An eye for organization and excellent attention to detail
- Excellent punctuality and professionalism
- Ability to speak Spanish a plus
At BFA, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation, and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military, and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
BFA believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a global company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool and to best carry out the inclusion work we undertake.