Country Manager: South Africa
About BFA and Catalyst Fund (BFA’s flagship tech accelerator)
BFA is a global consulting firm striving to build inclusive economies for a sustainable and equitable world. Together with partners and clients, we craft efficient solutions that enable individuals, organizations, and communities to thrive. BFA drives proactive responses to some of the world’s most pressing challenges including effective and sustainable development, poverty reduction, achieving fulfilling employment in the age of automation, bridging digital divides, developing participatory and evidence-informed governance, and mitigating the migratory and climate crises. BFA works at the frontiers of applied research and innovation using finance, data, business behavioral science and technology to build solutions for underserved populations.
Catalyst Fund is BFA’s flagship tech accelerator. Founded in 2016 with the support of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and JPMorgan Chase & Co, Catalyst Fund supports early-stage inclusive fintech startups focused on creating solutions emerging market underserved consumers. The program has two mandates: accelerating pre-investable inclusive fintech startups and sharing knowledge with the ecosystem to spur more innovation for financial inclusion. To date, Catalyst Fund has supported 25 companies by resolving their specific capital, talent, and skills challenges so they can deliver accessible, affordable, and appropriate (AAA) solutions more efficiently, more quickly, and with greater impact. Today, Catalyst Fund is starting its next phase of growth and aims to accelerate 30 more cutting-edge innovators over the next three years, while also expanding its ecosystem building role.
BFA is an exciting and rewarding place to work offering a range of opportunities to have an impact. The BFA and Catalyst Fund team is a curious, collaborative, agile, and risk-taking team, constantly seeking to improve to better support startups and innovation ecosystems around the world. We are a global team of highly-skilled, socially motivated hustlers working together to achieve the best value possible for our clients and partners, and ultimately improving the conditions of global poverty. We foster an entrepreneurial environment where we can learn, act autonomously, help each other and grow, while also having fun! To learn more, visit www.bfaglobal.com.
About the Country Manager
Are you seeking a client-facing role with the challenge of representing BFA and the Catalyst Fund in South Africa? Are you looking to support cutting-edge innovators building inclusive fintech solutions and help them scale? Are you a people person who thrives at setting up key partnerships and adept at managing relationships? Do you seek to play a role in a company that has an impact on creating a more sustainable and equitable world? If the answer is yes, this role is for you.
We are looking for an exceptional leader with a strong commitment to supporting tech-enabled early-stage entrepreneurs in creating a lasting impact in South Africa. Reporting to the Catalyst Fund’s Program Director, the Country Manager will be responsible for executing Catalyst Fund’s strategy in South Africa, help source and assess startups in the country, develop venture building projects to support the companies and build community, develop key partnerships with investors, banks, accelerators and other local actors in the fintech ecoystem and represent Catalyst Fund in local and regional events.
The Country Manager’s responsibilities will focus on these four core areas, which are likely to develop and evolve over time.
- Contribute to setting up key partnerships with investors, banks and other accelerators in South Africa
- Contribute to determining investment strategies appropriate to the local context in the market
- Recruit and service regional members for the Circle of Investors
- Recruit and service members of the local Circle of Bankers
- Connect to the local Regulator to support the fintech symposia and bootcamps
- Work with a local university to set internships for local students and the startups
- Set up and manage the relationships with local Accelerators/Incubators and other key players in the local ecosystem
- Support the due diligence and selection of South African fintech startups
- Support the venture building projects with local startups on issues varying from product management, value proposition design, customer insights, business model, fundraising etc.
- Build community among the companies in South Africa, while also coordinating with other country managers and the overall Catalyst Fund team
Learning & Influence
- Author briefs, blogs or reports on fintech market trends and share insights as part of Catalyst Fund’s learning and comms strategy
- Lead the organization of local events for investors, bankers, and startups, with support from the global events team
- Support dissemination activities in the country through local media/PR
Country Manager Requirements:
- 7+ years of experience in entrepreneurship, venture capital, corporate innovation, or consulting
- Knowledge of fintech sector and financial inclusion in South Africa, and the key players in the region
- Experience managing a venture fund, accelerator or other initiative working with startups in emerging markets is preferred
- Excellent networking skills
- Experience mentoring and advising startups on product design, business strategy, and product development in emerging market contexts preferred
- Self-starter and team player with lots of energy to juggle multiple responsibilities
- Strong written and verbal communication skills to communicate effectively with a distributed team across several countries and to represent Catalyst Fund with local partners
- Strong organizational and management skills, excellent punctuality and professionalism.
Anticipated Start Date: September/October 2019
The full-time position must be based in South Africa. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Please click on APPLY below and complete the application process as directed, including attaching your cover letter, your CV, and salary expectations.
Only shortlisted candidates who provide the required information will be contacted for follow-up.
*BFA will not sponsor for work permits.
**BFA will not pay for relocation expenses.