PR, Media, and Brand Manager
About BFA and Catalyst Fund (BFA’s flagship tech accelerator)
Through its work, BFA is contributing to empowering people to be the agents of their future, building inclusive and competitive economies for a sustainable and equitable world. Together with partners and clients we craft efficient solutions that enable individuals, organizations, and communities to thrive. BFA drives proactive responses to some of the world’s most pressing challenges including effective and sustainable development, poverty reduction, achieving fulfilling employment in the age of automation, bridging digital divides, developing participatory and evidence-informed governance, and mitigating the migratory and climate crises. BFA works at the frontiers of applied research and innovation using finance, data, and technology. In addition to our own knowledge, skills, and experience we harness data science, economic analyses, financial tools, artificial intelligence, human-centered design, and lean product development.
Catalyst Fund is BFA’s flagship tech accelerator. Founded in 2016 with the support of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and JPMorgan Chase & Co, Catalyst Fund supports early-stage inclusive fintech startups focused on creating solutions for underserved customers in emerging markets. The Fund has two mandates: accelerating pre-investable startups reaching underserved individuals, and sharing knowledge with the ecosystem to spur more innovation for financial inclusion. To date, Catalyst Fund has supported 25 promising, inclusive fintech companies by resolving their specific capital, talent, and skills challenges so that they can deliver accessible, affordable, and appropriate (AAA) solutions more efficiently, more quickly, and with greater impact. Today, Catalyst Fund is starting its next phase of growth and aims to accelerate 30 more cutting-edge innovators over the next three years, while also expanding its ecosystem building role.
BFA is an exciting and rewarding place to work, offering a range of opportunities to work around the globe with partners focused on making a difference in the lives of the poor. The BFA and Catalyst Fund team is a fun, curious, collaborative, and risk-taking team, constantly seeking to improve its work to better support startups and innovation ecosystems around the world. We are a global group of highly-skilled, socially motivated hustlers working together to achieve the best value possible for our clients and partners, and ultimately improving the lives of those who live in poverty. We foster an entrepreneurial environment where we can learn, act autonomously, help each other, and grow, while also having fun! To learn more, visit www.bfaglobal.com.
PR, Media, & Brand Manager
Are you passionate about storytelling and communication, and looking to have an impact on creating a more sustainable and equitable world? Do you have a vision for how to bring together different communication channels to amplify and promote the change you want to see? Do you want to support cutting-edge innovators around the globe to develop solutions that help the underserved?
BFA and the Catalyst Fund team are looking for an accomplished PR, communications, and marketing professional to develop and manage PR and communications strategies for Catalyst Fund so that it can more effectively disseminate insights and innovators’ stories.
Reporting jointly to the Director of Catalyst Fund and the BFA Director of Knowledge Management & Influence, the PR, Media, & Brand Manager will help to develop the Fund’s influence strategy to reach target stakeholders in the entrepreneurship and fintech ecosystem, from startups to investors, banks, and funders. The PR, Media, and Brand Manager will support Catalyst Fund’s PR, marketing, and communication strategies, key dissemination partnerships, media relationships, and the production of critical knowledge products and content for various platforms in order to build the Fund’s profile with a broad audience. The successful candidate for this position will be passionate about story-telling, conceiving and conducting creative campaigns, and innovating communications practices in an international context. S/he should have experience in, and be excited about, discovering compelling insights and stories within an organization’s portfolio, particularly the stories of entrepreneurs, and share them externally with a strong voice.
In addition to Catalyst Fund responsibilities, the PR, Media, & Brand Manager will work with the BFA Knowledge Management & Influence Director and the BFA Communications Manager on BFA’s own media/brand positioning and PR efforts.
This role will be primarily focused on external brand strategy, communications, and PR, although, as is the nature of our team, there will be many opportunities to be involved in different areas of the Knowledge Management & Influence team at BFA and in the broader Catalyst Fund’s work.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
As PR, Media, & Brand Manager, your main responsibilities will be to:
- Lead the development and execution of the PR, media, and branding strategy for Catalyst Fund, aligning it with BFA’s global communications strategy.
- Map Catalyst Fund audiences and their decision-making processes in order to inform content needs.
- Create compelling multimedia materials to communicate the learning emerging from Catalyst Fund startups.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with analysts, mainstream, specialized, and social media, and influencers, including top-tier global outlets and media in countries where Catalyst Fund operates.
- Identify and manage events and conference opportunities for Catalyst Fund and its startup companies in order to gain visibility and deepen engagement with different entrepreneurial ecosystems.
- Collaborate with the Catalyst Fund team, BFA’s Knowledge Management & Influence team, and country managers in key BFA markets (Kenya, South Africa, Nigeria, India, and Mexico) to understand local brand needs, and ensure the proper positioning of Catalyst Fund in each market.
- Author and ghost-author articles, blogs, and other editorial content to inform, excite, and disseminate insights for media.
- Design Catalyst Fund brand visibility strategy via key partnerships with external partners.
- Support Catalyst Fund startups in developing their own communications initiatives and brands as they seek to attract investors and media attention.
- Adhere to marketing budgets, and ensure donors brand guidelines are rigorously implemented and followed.
- Ensure quality control of all materials distributed for public consumption.
- Create high-quality corporate media kits and those for specific product launches and promotions.
- Work with the BFA Knowledge Management & Influence Director and the BFA Communications Manager on BFA’s own media/brand positioning and PR efforts.
Qualifications & Requirements:
Successful applicants will have many of the following qualities:
- An advanced degree in Communications, PR, Marketing, Journalism, or a related field.
- 8+ years of PR, media, marketing, and communications experience, preferably at the international level, and preferably with other tech accelerators, tech startups, tech VCs, investment firms, or international development organizations.
- A demonstrated ability to think strategically and critically.
- Amazing story research and storytelling skills.
- A proven ability to work in a fast-paced, startup environment, with a strong attention to detail for all tasks, large and small.
- Be a native English-language speaker with excellent written, presentation, and verbal communication skills, as well as a proven ability to communicate clearly and effectively, even in stressful situations.
- A proven ability to identify target audiences and devise cross-channel engagement strategies that educate, engage, motivate, and influence.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and maintaining relevant media contacts.
- An excellent ability to create and manage content (e.g. for website, e-newsletters, social media, etc.).
- A good eye for visual branding and graphic representation.
- A strong network among communications and media stakeholders.
- A demonstrated ability to plan creative events to engage audiences.
- Unrelenting persistence and drive to achieve excellence in execution.
Successful candidates will also:
- Have the ability to work with remote teams, where collaboration tools such as Slack and video calls are used frequently.
- Be creative, proactive, and enthusiastic; and willing to take smart risks and lead initiatives with confidence.
- Possess strong project management skills, with the ability to prioritize and adapt to rapidly changing needs.
- Be a strong team player who is open to feedback and other perspectives.
- Have a willingness and availability to travel 20-30% of the time.
Anticipated Start Date: September 1, 2019
The full-time position can be based in Paris, France (preferred); Madrid, Spain; New York, USA; or Nairobi, Kenya.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Please click on APPLY below and complete the application process as directed, including attaching your cover letter, your CV, and salary expectations.
Only shortlisted candidates who provide the required information will be contacted for follow-up.
*BFA will not sponsor for work permits.
**BFA will not pay for relocation expenses.