Request for Proposal: Website Design and Development
BFA uses finance, data, and technology to craft innovative solutions that empower individuals, organizations, and communities to create sustainable and inclusive economies. Together with our partners and clients, we seek to empower people and communities to address their vulnerabilities and shape their own futures.
We have deep expertise in advanced technology, data science, economic analysis, evidence-based policymaking, consumer research, human-centered design, and lean product development with demonstrated leadership in financial health and inclusion.
We deliver innovative products and business models, policy and strategic advisory, and research.
We work with governments, financial authorities, private-sector providers, donors, development agencies and other key stakeholders to foster digital and financial ecosystems that address today's most pressing challenges, from sustainability, to poverty, to fulfilling employment in the age of automation.
Founded in 2006, BFA has offices in Nairobi, New Delhi, Boston, Medellín, and New York. For more information, please visit:
Innovation is at the core of what we do, and to that end, we are pursuing a website that accurately, intelligently, and didactically reflects our pioneering character.
Our overarching objectives are to:
- Bring all BFA-related properties under one website and identity.
- Make the website more dynamic, and the user experience more engaging.
The new website will be the “parent” website of BFA and all of our related programs and projects. It should function as a cohesive repository for our vast knowledge products produced both independently and in partnership with clients and funders. Each of these projects and programs – past, present, and future – will reside here in a coherent way. Projects are often co-branded according to funding relationships, so an element of collaboration will need to be reflected in the design and appearance here as well.
Our audience is global and multi-disciplinary, comprised of stakeholders ranging from financial technology start-ups to philanthropic foundations and central banks. It is paramount that the new bfaglobal.com engage our primary visitors and stakeholders in a way that benefits them, allowing them to have an unfussy, easily-navigable experience. The new website should be:
- A showcase of the latest BFA news, publications, events, social media, etc. front and center
- Streamlined with intuitive navigation and UX
- Inclusive of a blog
- Light on menus, with creative use of visuals as navigation prompts
- Comprehensive, housing all publications and knowledge products
- Easy to make updates and changes to on the backend internally
- Comprised of dynamic, yet meaningful and non-overwhelming features
- Easily searchable with appropriate filter options that yield accurate results (e.g., publications are searchable by sector, country, focus area, etc.)
- In line with ADA recommendations
- SEO optimized
Project Scope and Delivery
There are currently 10 BFA website properties – not including the current bfaglobal.com – that relate to our various projects, resources, toolkits, etc. The majority of these are hosted on Squarespace, while WordPress hosts bfaglobal.com. By the end of the project, the entire BFA footprint will be integrated under the new website, and future content will be easily added, either as a new page or a new sub-section.
- Phase one:
- Rebranding and facelift of the new bfaglobal.com, migrating all current (and revised) content, and
- A complete content migration of Catalyst Fund, our most voluminous Squarespace-hosted project (https://catalyst-fund.org/).
- Phase two: Content migration of the remaining “external” websites into the new bfaglobal.com.
Deliverables, Timeline and Milestones
- Project kick-off and consultation September 2, 2019
- Full web design and migration proposal September 9, 2019
- Page layouts, wireframe, sitemap refinement September 16, 2019
- Dummy site testing, review & QA (quality assurance) September 23, 2019
- Training of relevant staff to manage website and prepare user guide
- Soft launch to test usability October 1, 2019
- Dummy site testing and review, cont. September 30, 2019
- Website launch October 8
- Post-launch maintenance and bug fixing October 8 to ongoing
- Begin integrating remaining web properties October 2019
- Website migration is complete Mid-November
We are looking for guidance on:
- Whether it is feasible to migrate the content of all existing external web properties into the new website
- Whether they are better off residing outside of the new website from a technical and structural standpoint (with hyperlinks from the bfaglobal.com project page), or
- Some combination of both. Should they remain hosted externally, we will need to develop a logical URL naming convention that points back to bfaglobal.com, but distinguishes each project/program from others.
- A robust web host
Criteria for Selection
Shortlisted firms must have:
- Client references
- The capacity to produce rapid iterations
- Experience with relevant clients and sector
- Advanced WordPress development experience, and familiarity with Squarespace
- Short proposal including budget and a proposed specific timeline
- CV including staff that will be engaged in the assignment
- At least three (3) previous client references
- A web-based portfolio of at least two (2) websites you have developed
How to Apply
Please submit your proposal to email@example.com on or before August 30, 2019 with the subject line "Response to Website Design and Development RFP"