Venture Builder, Catalyst Fund
BFA Global is an impact innovation firm that combines research, advisory, venture building, and investment expertise to build a more inclusive, equitable, and resilient future for underserved people and the planet. We partner with leading public, private, and philanthropic organizations, global and local, to catalyze innovation ecosystems for impact across emerging markets.
Catalyst Fund is a pre-seed high-impact VC fund and accelerator. We back tech startups seeking to improve the resilience of underserved, climate-vulnerable communities. We partner with founders who share our vision of a world where every individual has the tools and opportunities to thrive. Our active venture-building approach leverages our experience as founders and operators in emerging markets. We also convene a global network of founders, 140+ investors, and ecosystem partners. We intend to invest in and accelerate 20 companies across Africa per year. BFA Global is the general partner and venture-building provider of Catalyst Fund.
About the Role
The role of venture builders encompasses two main functions: accelerating early-stage startups and strengthening the ecosystem around them. This includes directly engaging and helping startups grow, capturing insights through research that can inform the startup support strategy, sharing insights and learning with the ecosystem, and engaging ecosystem stakeholders to enable business growth.
What you’ll do
As a Venture Builder at BFA Global, we seek someone with the following capabilities:
- Lead venture building (VB) engagements for startups as part of Catalyst Fund. This includes:
- Running the VB engagement from beginning to end with at least two companies per cohort,
- Building strong relationships with the startups in the programs,
- Scoping the support activities that would accelerate their journey to Product-Market Fit,
- Coordinating with relevant specialists to deliver on the scope of work,
- Providing specialist support where possible,
- Ensuring the startup is fully satisfied with the support offered and provides the programs with a high NPS while remaining within the venture-building engagement budget.
- Contribute to Catalyst Fund learning in strategic areas and external publications. This includes:
- Integrating knowledge learned from VB projects into the learning outputs like blogs and other influential publications to share knowledge with the industry,
- Performing secondary and sometimes primary research determined by the team to develop substantial data to input into the knowledge products,
- Writing knowledge outputs like blogs and reports that will be shared with the industry.
- Engage with ecosystem stakeholders as part of Catalyst Fund. This includes:
- Sharing insights about Catalyst Fund’s work with investors and other relevant stakeholders,
- Identifying areas of synergy with investors who might be interested in investing in portfolio startups,
- Gathering any investor recommendations for startups that Catalyst Fund can consider as candidates for future cohorts.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- 8+ years of experience working as a venture builder at an accelerator, investment fund, or as part of a fast-growing startup team
- Advanced degree in Business, Finance, Engineering, or equivalent. MBAs are also a plus.
- Strong experience supporting startups across emerging markets globally in developing products and analyzing data to understand business performance
- Expertise in lean product management, including design sprints, value proposition design, hypothesis-driven experimentation, roadmaps prioritization, as well as in business modelling
- Experience investing in startups or helping startups raise funds
- Must demonstrate the ability to think on your feet, i.e., a “hacker” mentality
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, startup environment, with strong attention to detail for all tasks, even virtually
- Ability to complete tasks in a timely manner while balancing several assignments with inputs from multiple team members
- Strong analytical skills to perform data deep-dives on startups’ data
- Ability to run trials and MVPs, set up experiments, develop and deliver go-to-market launch plans
- Demonstrated success defining, launching, and managing climate tech, e-commerce, or digital financial (fintech) products.
Any of the following will be considered a plus:
- Familiarity with climate adaptation solutions or digital financial services innovation for low-income populations, economic development, or the social business sector.
- Familiarity working with different cultures and languages
- Experience with supporting businesses aimed at low-income populations and/or in low-connectivity environments (i.e., USSD or SMS-based products)
- Spoken and written language proficiency other than English (Spanish, French, or other)
Anticipated Start Date: October 2023
Preferred location: Egypt, Ghana, Nigeria, or Tunisia
Candidates must have local work permits. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Only shortlisted candidates who provide the required information will be contacted for follow-up.
At BFA, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation, and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military, and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
BFA believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates are critical to our success as a global company. We seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool and to carry out the best inclusion work we undertake.
*BFA will not sponsor work permits.
**BFA will not pay for relocation expenses.