Lead Designer, BFA Global
BFA Global is an impact innovation firm that combines research, advisory, venture building, and investment expertise to build a more inclusive, equitable, and resilient future for underserved people and the planet. We partner with leading public, private and philanthropic organizations, global and local, to catalyze innovation ecosystems for impact across emerging markets. BFA Global is the general partner and venture-building provider of Catalyst Fund.
Catalyst Fund is a pre-seed high-impact fund backing tech startups that seek to improve the resilience of underserved, climate-vulnerable communities in Africa. It provides capital and hands-on venture-building support to mission-driven, local and women entrepreneurs. Over the past 7 years, we have backed 61 startups across 15 emerging markets.
About the Lead Designer role
We seek a multi-disciplinary designer with research-based UI/UX and product design experience to work with BFA Global’s portfolio of projects, including with Catalyst Fund startups. You will be responsible for leading all design-related project activities and working with our portfolio of climate resilience startups across Africa. You will work with team members worldwide and must be proactive and independent while collaborating closely with colleagues in different time zones. You will report to the Head of Communications & Influence.
What You’ll Do
Are you passionate about storytelling and communication and looking to have an impact on creating a more sustainable and equitable world?
Do you have a vision for how to bring stories to life via visual design to have a positive impact?
Do you want to support cutting-edge African innovators to develop climate resilience solutions that help people and the planet? If you say yes, this job is for you.
As Lead Designer at BFA Global, you will be expected to:
- Leverage your understanding of digital marketing, work with the team to ideate on novel and creative approaches to visually present information and better reach individual target audiences (inclusive of donors, NGOs, investors, startup founders, research firms, corporates and more)
- Leveraging your understanding of UI/UX best practices and research, regularly recommend improvements to our content and projects, and advise Catalyst Fund portfolio companies during design and marketing sprints as needed.
Specifically, your role will include:
Graphic design, UI/UX, and product design
- Own, update and enforce visual guidelines across all internal and external touchpoints to ensure consistent brand aesthetic
- Own and manage design-based website updates, collaborating with external suppliers as needed
- Own and lead all graphic design requirements, which may include:
- Digital toolkits
- Social media graphics
- Social media text-based videos
- Printed event material (banners, one-pagers, etc.)
- Image/photography library
- Minimal video graphic work
- As part of marketing + communications support offering for our portfolio companies, work with the Strategic Marketing Lead to lead design sprints with companies, as determined necessary by individual Project Leads. This may include:
- Branding revamps
- Website front-end build or recommendations
- Product design and UX/UI improvements
- Creating design management systems
- Deck redesign
- Light-touch collateral design (one-pagers, banners, pitch decks, social media visuals)
- Work with team members to determine UI/UX or design needs within other venture-building projects as needed. Execute project-based design activities and/or hire freelance/external talent as needed.
Qualifications & Requirements:
Successful applicants will have many of the following qualities:
- Bachelor’s degree in design or a related field
- 5+ years’ experience as an Art Director or Designer with a strong digital focus
- A demonstrated ability to tell stories visually
- UX/ UI experience across web and mobile
- Product design experience is strongly preferred
- A proven ability to identify target audiences and devise cross-channel engagement strategies that educate, engage, motivate, and influence
- Demonstrated ability to create and enforce consistent visual brand
- Excellent ability to create and manage content (web, e-newsletters, social media, print, etc.).
- A fluent English-language speaker with excellent written, presentation, and verbal communication skills, as well as a proven ability to communicate clearly and effectively, even in stressful situations
- A proven ability to work in a fast-paced, startup environment, with strong attention to detail for all tasks, large and small
- A good eye for visual branding and graphic representation.
- Unrelenting persistence and drive to achieve excellence in execution.
Successful candidates will also:
- Have the ability to work with remote teams, where collaboration tools such as Slack and video calls are used frequently.
- Be creative, proactive, enthusiastic, and willing to take risks and confidently lead initiatives.
- Possess strong project management skills, with the ability to prioritize and adapt to rapidly changing needs.
- Be a strong team player who is open to feedback and other perspectives.
- Be willing and available to travel 20% of the time for project work as needed.
- Understanding emerging markets and designing for low-connectivity contexts, preferably in Africa.
- French language skills a plus but not required
Anticipated Start Date: August 2023
Preferred location: India, Spain. U.K. and the U.S.
Candidates must have local work permits. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Only shortlisted candidates who provide the required information will be contacted for follow-up.
At BFA Global, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation, and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military, and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
BFA Global believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates are critical to our success as a global company. We seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool and to carry out the best inclusion work we undertake.
*BFA will not sponsor work permits.
**BFA will not pay for relocation expenses.